Mounties comeback falls short

Mounties comeback falls short

For the 2nd game in a row, the Mount Allison Mounties used a torrid 4th quarter comeback to come within inches of victory, only to fall short again. This time the Mounties lost 27-23 on the road at Bishop's.

Down 24-6 with 10 minutes remaining in the game, the Mounties reeled off 17 straight points in 8 minutes to bring the score to 24-23. Bishop's then extended their lead with a late field goal. The Mounties looked like they still had a chance as they drove on their final possession of the game before a late interception sealed the win for the Gaiters.

The Mounties opened the scoring when kicker James Parker connected from 44 yards out five minutes into the game to give the Mounties a 3-0 lead.  Three minutes later Bishop's took the lead with quarterback Charles Aubry found Melvin Palin for a 39 yard touchdown.  Parker connected on a 37 yard field goal in the 2nd quarter to leave the score at 7-6 at halftime.

Bishop's would add a Zach Graveson touchdown and a 16 yard field goal from Noah Laursen to extend their lead to 17-6.  With 5 minutes gone in the 4th quarter Bishop's picked off a Julian Wytinck pass and ran it back 79 yards to run the score to 24-7. Wytinck, who was making his first career start for the Mounties, was 24 of 38 for 247 yards with one touchdown for the Mounties.

The Mounties would engineer a 55 yard drive to score with 4:58 remaining when Hunter Sturgeon punched it in from the 1 yard line.  After the Mounties defense forced a safety by tackling Bishop's in the endzone the score sat at 24-15 with 3:40 remaining.

After another defensive stop, the Mounties went back to work and drove 57 yards before Wytinck connected with junior receiver Ian Carty from 10 yards out. Parker converted the extra point and then kicked the ensuing kickoff through the end zone and the Mounties found themselves down only 24-23 with 1:59 remaining.

Bishop's then gave themselves a bit of breathing room as Noah Laursen sailed a 23 yard field goal through the uprights with 57 seconds remaining.

The Mounties would move into Bishop's territory and get a look at taking the lead before a late interception ended the game and gave the Gaiters the win.

Senior Josh Hicks had 9 catches for 142 yards for the Mounties while sophomore Drew Besco had 5 catches for 67 yards.

On defense, Matt Watson led the way with 6 tackles while Dylan Cormier picked up his 2nd interception of the season.